Thursday, February 13, 2014

And So It Begins!

Ciao! It's official: I'M IN ITALY! Warning: Be prepared for random caps lock, exclamation points, and words like "wow" and "ermahgerd". There is no way to fully encapsulate what I am feeling and seeing. So much has happened and I want to share it with everyone; and to best do that, I'll start at the beginning.



The other night while packing, I could have run a marathon with the energy coursing through my body. And yet, when I got to the airport, I was suddenly more than slightly apprehensive at the thought of leaving the safety of my parents for the very first time. I was still excited, but it finally hit me that I would be across the world from them. Good ol' Mama and Daddy were stoic 'til the end, but there were a few tears shed at security. Dear dear Katie drove all the way out to see me off, once again showing me how incredibly lucky I am to have a best friend as wonderful as her.

The first time flying was quite the experience. I had two traveling companions, thank God, and everything went off without a hitch. We made our gates, found our way, and made it to every connecting ride. I had a window seat every time (jackpot!) and watched quite a few movies. It was a great first big voyage. Flying over New York City at night was a surreal experience, I could hardly believe my eyes.


I woke up to seeing the Atlantic Ocean for the first time. (Swiss Airlines logo on point).


And now, after landing in Chicago and Zurich, I am in Venice. THE Venice. Ermahgerd. I am still in a bit of a state of shock that I am indeed in Italy, Europe. (Switzerland is GORGEOUS. I will definitely be exploring those rolling hills someday.)


Oh, you know, just beauty everywhere. No big deal.


Discovery #1: There are so many stairs that if I don't come back with calves, than there is no way I will ever have them. I have decided that this trip is where I get in the shape that I've always wanted. So yes, though there is bread a plenty, there are more stairs.

We have seen so many museums and churches, I'm so surrounded by art. I've seen paintings by Titian, walked through the Peggy Guggenheim Museum, and sketched a mandolin playing street artist. This is the life. My classroom is a canal filled paradise.



Just hanging out with a bunch of Jackson Pollock paintings.


It is beautiful here. We've been here a few days and I'm finally starting to get my bearings. I am loving my travel mates, there have been some major bonding going on. We bought fruit at the market and we've been eating some pretty good food (though we're all excited to eat something a little more authentic in the smaller towns).


Amendment to Earlier Post: Here is picture of the females (Left to Right)
Belit, Jackie, Stahsha, Kyle, Me, Megan, Abby, and Caity


More to come, un baccio from Venezia! 

xoxo

Alaine



No comments:

Post a Comment