We got here from Mantova on Thursday (the bus ride was pretty alright, I watched "Austenland" with Belit and it was perfect). We are in The Hotel Duomo, and this is the veiw:
That's right, the Duomo church is RIGHT outside of my window.
We unpacked, explored a bit with Harvey and Robbye, and then immediately went out on the town and danced at a disco... That was quite the experience. As you would expect, I grew up a lot that day in terms of what the men are like here... And that is all I'm going to say. No, kidding, it was a fun, educational night and I enjoyed myself immensely, but I also don't feel the need to do it all that often. I danced my heart out with the people who went and it was nice to get rid of some unwanted energy. My legs are starting to get some tone and this definitely pushed it over the edge a bit.
It was about what one would expect when you think "European Dance Club." We won't be going back.
The next day was superb because we went to the Uffizi museum and I saw so many works by the great masters I've heard of my entire life. Michelangelo, Raphael, Leonardo (da Vinci, but people only call him Leonardo here), and tons more. I cannot believe I saw "The Birth of Venus" and "Primavera" by Botticelli! I'm still in a bit of shock right now. We also hiked up the hill to Michelangelo's favorite church and saw some great views of the city!
I'm on top of the world!
Churches and sights and Italy galore!
The food is beyond compare as well, I found a pizza place that I eat at almost every day because I'm that in love with their food. I have tried a few interesting things as well, I'm saving up for a "big meal", but until then, I'm enjoying the smaller, less expensive places. Also, I think I have a severe gelato addiction because there are stores every ten feet and I feel like I stop in all of them for more! (My system is limone (lemon) and fragole (strawberry) during the sunny part of the day and then tiramisu and caffe (coffee) during the cold/dark times... And this system is flawless because I win either way.
Oh, and the cappuccinos here are to die for. I live on them, too.
Anywhoo, the days spent here are amazing. If I stay in, I bond with the girls (and the three gentlemen) who are here with me, and if I go out, I get a better grasp on this amazingly beautiful city. Words do not express the freedom and happiness I feel here. It also feels good to "escape reality" for a little bit. Stepping away from a few situations at home have helped me process some feelings and thoughts and ideas. Stahsha has said a few times "I could get lost in my head" and that really hit home with me recently. (She says a lot of good thought things. She's a smart kitty). I've been thinking from a more detached point of view, and that has helped me sort a few things out. And it's been really nice to not have as much responsibility, which sounds a bit bad but let me explain: I have always been a work-for-the-future type of person, which is great, but it's also pretty exhausting. It's really exhilarating to have a more flighty and in the moment type of experience. Caitlin told me a saying that fits perfectly: "la vita italiana e bella. Il bel far niente." which translates along the lines of "The beauty of doing nothing. Or of being." more ore less. Which captures it beautifully. Living in the moment without much thought or care is selfish, but much needed. It was a bit of a rough winter, so this feels really nice.
The last few days have been particularly amazing. We spent a day in Lucca, where we rode bicycles around the town and ate gelato and sketched in the sunshine. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, I felt completely alive and wonderful.
Yup. It was one of the best days of my life.
Then, yesterday, we went to a paper marbling factory/company and learned how to marble. It was so much fun! I marbled royal blue with gold and violet (pictures pending, I didn't have my camera so I'm relying on Abby to upload sometime. Here's what her's looked like!
Oh hey, that's my elbow too! Marbling was so amazing! Diego was very nice.
We made journals too, I cannot believe how much fun it was. I will definitely be exploring bookmaking when I get back to Montana. We bound journals, made pencils, and talked to some of the friendliest human beings on the planet. Laura had the most infectious laugh I've ever heard, and Gioni was the nicest man in all of Italy. I had some of the most genuine and excited moments of my life, they were just pure energy and happiness. It was an almost transcendent experience.
Here was us in the workshop and my finished journal (Better photos pending)
Today we went to the a Sculpture Museum in the morning and had a little lunch on a rooftop cafe. It was a beautiful view. Stahsha and Jackie had a little bit of wine and enjoyed the sunshine while I had a tiny sandwich and a cuppocino. It was a lovely afternoon.
Then after our little break, we saw the inside of the Duomo. It was pretty cool to see what was on the inside of the dome. We were surrounded by tourists which kinda detracted from the experience, but it was incredibly, nonetheless.
I know that I'm leaving out so much and already forgetting things, but there is just so much to experience and remember and do! My italian is sooooo slowly but surely improving. I've been up-downed a few times by some guys, my legs are feeling great from all of the a'cursed stairs, and I'm so incredibly happy (though I'm missing my little Emmy dog right about now!) Life is pretty amazing. More to come, ciao from Firenze everyone!
xoxo
Alaine









No comments:
Post a Comment