I faced the hard parts of life more than any other year in my 21 years of life. I felt the sting of death not once but multiple times, saw my family put in pain as my father experienced a horse wreck in the spring and then a brain aneurysm in December, and experienced the harsh reality of adulthood as I struggled to complete classes while under the duress of Mono.
It was a lot to handle.
I have found that I am stronger than I ever thought. But I am not invincible, and I found out who truly support me in my struggles. I have overcome and suffered and succeeded and failed. I have learned a lot about being a woman, an adult, and a human.
I also experienced soaring highs. I turned 21 (finally!), passed the grueling portfolio review for Graphic Design in the spring, and made friends so wonderful I am still pinching myself. I reconnected with someone unexpected and special, so that's a warm feeling to hold on to. And so life proves once again that it is a double sided coin.
I am more than blessed. I am criminally lucky.
And so here I am at the beginning of 2014 with a blinding optimism so hot that I'm burning on the inside. This is going to be my year. I am going to make it so. And so far, I have no complaints.
I rung in the New Year with my best friend (although I hope to never ring it that hard ever again). I turned 22 in a quiet way, which was perfect since I was surrounded by my family. My whole family. Almost losing my dad shook my soul to the core, and every moment I have with my family is a gift. And now I'm preparing for my semester abroad in Italia, something that has me terrified and more excited than I've ever been in my life. This adventure will trump everything I've ever done.
And to keep my thoughts in order (and slightly public while I'm abroad), I thought I would create a blog. I reserve the most personal thoughts for my book journal, I don't want to give too much away, but my adventures and musings I will post for you friends to read. After keeping a blog for Honors classes, I have found that they are a delightful way to get my head in order.
Cheers to the New Year and may you always find an adventure.
xoxo
AF

No comments:
Post a Comment