Tuesday, March 4, 2014

When In Rome Has Been Said Way Too Many Times, And It's Only Been Three Days... But Hey, When In Rome!

We're in Roma! I can't even believe it. We've been here for three days and I love it here so much. It is unlike any of the other italian cities, because it is so rich in so much history.

The bus ride on Saturday was pretty ok, we had quite the trek to the bus stop (walking with all of our gear was pretty funny, we all died a little bit. I'm so glad Dad always made me push myself on our hikes because gosh darn it, I was bound and determined to be in front, I wasn't going to get lost! Luckily, one of the bus drivers liked me and carried my bag toward the end since I was in the front of the pack.) I mostly listened to music during the ride and Steve was nice enough to give me some of his bus wine for the trip. It was nice to zone out a bit and enjoy the countryside. It was a beautiful ride, slightly rainy so everything was green and it smelled good. On the way into the city, we drove by the Colosseum, took a quick spin into Vatican City, and saw some pretty historic landmarks. Say what?! How did I get so lucky?


OH MY GOD I CAN'T HANDLE IT.

After our bus ride, we got dropped off at our hotel. We are on the first floor (only one flight of steps this time, opposed to the usual six!) It's pretty neat, I'm rooming with Jackie again and we have a great view. We all walked around and then got some of the best pizza in Rome with the group. I had zucchini with mozzarella pizza with Abby and it was to die for. Megan gave me a clove of her garlic from her garlic and marinara pizza because she's a beautiful soul and I almost died from happiness. Stahsha, Jackie, and I went on a late night gelato run and we found a perfect place a few blocks from our hotel that even dips our gelato in chocolate! And even after all of the things I ate and drank, and how many times I brushed my teeth,  and when I woke up the next morning, my breath smelled terribly of garlic.

View from my hotel room, no big deal. I was definitely sipping wine while taking the picture on the right...

The next day was a pretty easy day too, we walked up the Spanish Steps, accidentally walked into a few church services since it was Sunday, and saw the Pantheon for the first time. That was pretty cool. Megan and I geeked out over mythology and Roman history, it's nice to have someone as nerdy about history as I am on this trip. After our brief exploration in the rain, we listened to Steve give his presentation on three Carravagio paintings and had yet another delicious cappuccino in a small cafe. I bought some groceries at a small store and headed back to the hotel, where I snacked and sketched the rest of the day/night away. It was great to hang out with everyone, just making art and laughing.


I ran into those windows. It was really embarrassing, but now it's really funny.

Yesterday was one of the best days of the trip and quite possibly my life, although the day started off a bit rocky (I accidentally ran into our first set of windows and gave myself a fat lip. I understand what birds feel like now, I was so embarrassed!!). We walked to the Vatican yesterday (some of our party were almost hit by a moped and a car when they jay walked but don't worry, no injuries haha) and there were sooo many people, it was not my scene at all. I did enjoy the art though, I saw so many cool things, like Egyptian art and artifacts, some Mesopotamian art, Laocoon and His Sons, and some greats like "School of Athens" and the Sistine Chapel!



School of Athens, what?!


SISTINE CHAPEL (with the wonderful Steve) SHOT!


They were wonderful to see but the high light of my day was the people in my group. I really enjoy the togetherness that I feel around them, we are all syncing quite nicely. Nice-Guy-Steve bought me a cappuccino that we enjoyed outside in the sunshine, we all relaxed by a fountain, and then we all walked to "the best Gelateria in Roma" (according to Harvey, to which I agree). I had limone and fragola, as per usual on my sunny days. Then we walked to St. Peter's Square and man, it was a perfect day to be in the square. Sunny and warm, but not too hot or crowded. After walking around for a bit and taking pictures, we got in line to see the church. It wasn't even that long of a wait, and it was most definitely worth it. We immediately saw Michelangelo's Pieta and were serenaded by some of the priests (I'm assuming) as they were entering the church. The massiveness was almost overwhelming but really fun to be in. I rubbed the oldest bronze statue of St. Peter for good luck with Steve, Megan, and Belit! We also got to go down into the crypts and see where old popes are buried. It was an interesting experience. After that, we drank out of a fountain in the courtyard, so I'm now expecting to live for forever.




Sunny times with friends in Vatican City.


After that, Prof Harvey, Belit, Megan, Steve, Teddy, and I wandered around Rome and saw some of the cool places Harvey knew about. We crossed the river and went to a wonderful cafe. I had my first Aperol Spritz and it was delicious. We talked art and Italy and life. It was a fun time.




Exploring and then rewarding ourselves with booze. My favorite.

We came back to the hotel for a brief respite and then went out for "a surprise". We walked by the Pantheon at night and it was so beautiful! It was all lit up and almost glowing, I could live there no problem. And there was a cellist playing in the square. I gave her a few euro, I have to support my cello family after all! We continued walking and finally saw our surprise: The Trevi Fountain! I threw in a penny for (more) good luck and made a wish (but I can't tell you that one). It was really fun to walk and talk and see some roman night life. I think I could stay here for a while...


 

Trevi Fountain in Roma



Me and Megan makin' some wishes.


After that, some of us went to a wonderful dinner at Taverna Birreria (which loosely translates to Old Bear Tavern) and had an excellent dinner. I had cozzo (mussels) fettuccine with pomodoro (tomatoes) paired with really good white wine. Everything everyone ordered was delicious. I finished it all, and cleaned my plate with the bread they gave us.



 My nom noms of the trip, I could eat this every day and be super happy about it.

And that was my day yesterday! Today was a little low key, we went to a market and I window shopped a little, but mostly I stayed in and caught up in my sketchbook and listened to music. I am having a pretty great time, I'm really enjoying the people I'm with, I'm looking at phenomenal art every day, and experiencing a beautiful city. Life is pretty wonderful.

Ciao for now!

xoxo
Alaine

No comments:

Post a Comment